Sunday, August 16, 2009

Lavender Bunch Harvest

A lot has happened on the farm since building the Ark. Chickens, lavender, and bees have consumed the hours of the days between my last post and today. Over the next few days, I attempt to make up for lost time, and recount some of the tasks that define daily life this summer.

In mid July, the angustifolia was ready for harvest. I grow angustifolia primarily as a culinary spice crop. It has a much deeper purple color that is beautiful on food, and in spice jars. It also has a very sophisticated scent and flavor. Much less camphorous than other lavender varieties. These qualities make it most suitable for food.

I work in a producer Co-op with several other farmers in the area. We share the responsibilities of managing distribution of production shares to Co-op subscribers. You can find more information about the Carmel Valley Co-op at our website at www.carmelvalleycoop.org. In July, it was my responsibility to provide fresh lavender bunches to include in the weekly distribution. I chose the Angustifolia, because the deep purple color made quite a striking bouquet.

In the photo, I am holding a bucket of Angustifolia from the bunch harvest. I love this time on the farm, because the lavender is most beautiful. It seems to pass so quickly. It is now August, and all of the lavender has now been cut. The green little "pillows" are still beautiful, but it is not the same. I guess the ephemeral nature of the seasons makes the magic.

If you are interested in culinary lavender, just let me know. You can contact me at http://www.carmellavender.com/contacts.htm and I can arrange a delivery. My culinary lavender will also soon be carried at Sun River in the Carmel Valley Village along with my Carmel Lavender essential oils and other lavender products.

No comments: