Friday, August 21, 2009

Harvest Interrupted by Swarm of Wild Bees

We interrupt the previously scheduled updates on oil harvest to bring you this special announcement. This evening as I was checking on the chickens one last time for the night, I hear a sound. A humming sound. I didn't have any equipment running, so I started across the yard to see what it was. About 100 yards away I found the source of the sound. A wild swarm of bees! Lucky day!

If you read my previous wild swarm post back in April, Catching a Swarm of Wild Bees, then you know about my previous attempt to capture a swarm earlier this year. Well in 2009, opportunity knocks...twice.

Okay, it was late, 7:30pm. The swarm is settling down quickly. and forming a tight little ball. I suited up, but now what?

Well, unlike in April, this swarm settled right near the house, on flat ground, and only about 6 feet up. I can reach that with a chair! So I grabed a box to put them in. I wasn't going to make the same mistake as last time, and drop them into a hive in the wrong spot!

Then I climbed up on a chair with my box and proceeded to knock the bees into it.

Since I could easily reach the branch, I quickly tried to brush some of the remaining bees into the box. Then I closed it up.

I waited for 10 minutes. A smaller ball formed again back up in the tree. But quite a few bees were now circling the box too. I think I had it. But I got another box and brused the remaining bees into the second box. Then I headed off to the new hive location.

I started five new hives this year. But one of the hives, the queen failed. I attempted to split another hive to restart the colony, but I was unsuccessful. But I happened to have a hive all set up with noone home! So I dumped the swarm into the new home.

Darkness was falling now. So I closed everything up and headed back to the house. I will check in the morning and see if the branch is clean and the hive is buzzin. I laughed a little to myself. Ten years ago a swarm paid us a visit. I ran into the house until they passed. Now I'm chasing them around the yard with boxes trying to make them my friends. How time changes us, no? You know, even if the hive is empty tomorrow morning, swarming bees mean colonies are growing. This is the way they reproduce. Maybe that means we are starting to see a comeback?

I sure hope so. I am happy to see the life flourish where I live.

No comments: