Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April is here, the farm is in high gear

Well, the last thing to do on the last day of March is to hang the martenitza from the branches of the tree that was the first to welcome Spring. Here on Lavender Hill, that was an Almond tree. The Almond was the first to break out in full bloom. So to show my appreciation, I hung the martenitza that I have worn since March 1st from it's branches. Thank you Marta for not being to cruel to us this year. Here you can see it hanging from the tree, with new blossoms and brand new leaves. Spring is here. How truly wonderful it is.


In fact, Spring is here with an interminable force. It's impossible right now to KEEP things from growing. The vetch is still growing like a son of a gun in the lavender fields. This is a full time job in and of itself. And the seeds I planted just a few weeks ago are already sprouting. I took these two beauties a zucchini and a tomato out of the coldframe for a moment to take a nice picture for you. Ahh, grow my pretties.



And with the warmer weather, the bees are more active two. This week I added a honey super to the hives so they would have space to store their delicious nectar. Maybe I get a nice crop this year. Maybe? Please? Oh how I do wish!


But more than that I pray that the new hives I establish this month stay healthy this year. I do not want to see a repeat of the troubles of last year. 2009 will be fine. And on honey we shall all dine.

No comments: